Prof. Harald Rose
is an emeritus Professor of the Technical University Darmstadt, Germany. He was the Ph.D. supervisor of Dr. Haider and Dr. Zach and taught them the principles and later on the art of electron optics.
He still is in advisory capacity for CEOS.
His main research activities are in theoretical electron optics, especially aberration correction, theory of electron scattering and image formation in EM.
He has published more than 200 reviewed articles in scientific journals, 10 major review articles and is inventor of 105 patents on scientific instruments and electron optical components partly manufactured by various companies.
On the occasion of his 70th birthday on February 14th, 2005, a symposium was held at the LBNL at Berkeley.
One of his latest awards was the honorary fellowship of the renowned Royal Microscopical Society (press release in German).
On the occasion of his 75th birthday a symposium on "Advances in Corrected Electron Microscopy in Materials Science and Biology" was held on February 19th in Heidelberg.
- 1964 PhD (theoretical electron optics) under the supervision of Prof. Otto Scherzer at the Technical University of Darmstadt
- 1976-1980 Principal Research Scientist at The New York State Department of Health
- 1973/74 sabbatical leaves at the E. Fermi Institute, Universiy of Chicago
- 1995/96 sabbatical leaves Cornell and at the University of Maryland
- 1980-2000 Professor at the Department of Physics of the University of Darmstadt
after his retirement in 2000
- 2000/1 research fellow at the Department of Materials Science, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- 2001/2 research fellow at the Department of Materials Science, Argonne National Laboratory
- 2003-2005 research fellow at the Advanced Light Source, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- since 2009 Senior Guest Professor at Ulm University
honorary member of these scientific societies:
- the Microscopy Society of America
- the German Society of Electron Microscopy
- the 141 Committee of the Japanese Society for the Promotion of Sciences.
- since 1987 Honorary Professor of the Jiaotong University, Xian, China
- Distinguished Scientist Award 2003 of the Microscopy Society of America
- 2005 Award of the 141 Committee of the Japanese Society for the Promotion of Sciences
- Karl Heinz Beckurts Preis together with Dr. Maximilian Haider and Professor Knut Urban
- 2008 the Honda Prize together with Dr. Haider and Prof. Urban
- 2008 honorary fellowship of the Royal Microscopical Society (text in German)
- 2011 Wolf Prize in Physics together with Prof. Max Haider and Prof. Knut Urban.
In 2009 he published the book "Geometrical Charged-Particle Optics" in Springer Series in Optical Sciences , Vol. 142 (ISBN: 978-3-540-85915-4)
Contact: Due to spam problems, we hesitate to publish e-mail addresses
on our homepage. If you wish to contact Prof. Rose, write to
firstname.lastname@example.org and you can obtain his e-mail address at the Technical University of