Dr. Max Haider:
Maximilian Haider studied physics in Kiel and Darmstadt and received his PhD in 1987 in Darmstadt with an experimental work which was carried out at the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL).
In 1989 he became a Group Leader within the Physical Instrumentation Program at the EMBL.
In 1992 he started a project to set up a Cs-corrector for a 200 kV TEM together with Prof. Rose in Darmstadt and Prof. Urban in Juelich. In 1996 he founded CEOS GmbH in Heidelberg together with Joachim Zach.
He has received several awards including:
- 2005 the Innovation Award of the State of Baden Württemberg (Rudolf Eberle Award) together with Dr. Joachim Zach
- 2006 the Karl Heinz Beckurts Preis together with Prof. Rose and Prof. Urban
- 2008 an Honorary Professorship at the University of Karlsruhe
- 2008 the Honda Prize together with Prof. Rose and Prof. Urban for their achievements in aberration-corrected transmission electron microscopy for high-resolution visualization of atomic structure
- 2011 Wolf Prize in Physics together with Prof. Harald Rose and Prof. Knut Urban.
- 20134 Foundation Frontiers of Knowledge Award in Physics together with Prof. Harald Rose and Prof. Knut Urban.
- 2015 Honorary Fellowship of the Royal Microscopical Society.
- 2015 NIMS Award 2015.
On the occasion of his 60th birthday a symposium on "Advances in Corrected Electron Microscopy in Materials Science and Biology" was held on February 19th 2010 in Heidelberg.